Publication Type: Working Paper
Authors: Kabeer Dawani, Asad Sayeed
Publication date: July 2020
The pharmaceutical sector in Pakistan forms a critical component in the provision of access to essential medicines for its citizens. However, the sector has hitherto been unable to perform efficiently. One illustration of this inefficiency is that the top 100 firms cater to 97% of the market, while there are 650 firms competing for the remaining 3% market share.
This paper focuses on ways to tackle private-sector corruption – rule-violating, rent-seeking processes – that has developmentally harmful effects. An important component of anticorruption is the feasibility of reforms – only those reforms that are in line with the political settlement, or the distribution of power in society and the sector, can be successful.